Frequently Asked Questions
- How to change my interests?
Users can always re-select the interests. In the Signup Form, select your new interests and type in the email and password that you used when you first registered the service. Then click “Subscribe” button. You will receive the updated digests the next business day.
- I never received any daily digest email, what happened?
Probably when you registered the service, you chose to disable the daily digest service. You can re-enable the service using the following button:
- I do not receive daily digest emails on some weekdays, what happened?
There are three possible reasons:
(1) if the areas you signed up are not very active, then it is normal that you do not receive updates everyday.
(2) arxiv.org may not release new papers in time due to holidays or outages. Once arxiv service is back to normal, paperdigest.org will send out digest emails as soon as possible (usually the next day).
(3) It is possible that the emails have been blocked by your email service provider. We notice that users using emails from qq.com experience this problem frequently.
- I get digests for more than 200 papers everyday, and I cannot read all of them. How can I receive less?
This is the #1 complaint from our daily digest subscribers.
Root Causes: Some areas are active like ‘cs.AI’, so it is expected to see a lot of new papers everyday when multiple such active areas are selected. The problem gets worse in January-March, since deadlines of many conferences fall in this time range.
Solutions: We recommend four solutions:
(1) We always encourage users to narrow down the selected interests (see How to change my interests?). With fewer interests selected, users get fewer updates.
(2) Papers in daily emails are sorted by primary_category, readers can decide what papers to read based on categories if he/she does not have time to read all.
(3) We have a console for users to filter out papers that they are not interested in. Users can login the console page, and then click on /Digest/Current Week or Last Week. This returns all paper updates in the desired time range. These updates are the same as what we sent out in daily digest emails. Users can type in a keyword in “filter” field to only show papers with the desired keyword.
(4) Users can suspend daily digest service using this link. When daily digest service is suspended, users will not receive daily digest emails, but still receive other updates like conference digest notifications. Users can always re-enable this service using the same link.
Daily digest emails are generated based on user selected categories. There are more than 200 such categories in total, like artificial intelligence, computer vision. Topics in topic tracking typically have a much narrower coverage compared to user selected categories. We currently track ~60 topics, covering trending topics in Biology/Health, Computer Science, Finance, Math, and Physics. Depending on the demand, we may frequently add new topics and remove old topics. The categories in daily digests do not change very often.
- Do you send out digests every day?
Digests are sent out Monday-Friday.
- Who is running paperdigest.org?
We are a group of researchers and engineers working on machine learning and natural language processing.
- What services do you provide?
We currently offer two paper digest services: daily paper digest service (introduced in early 2018 to serve subscribed users) and conference digest service (introduced in mid 2019 to serve public users). We also offer paper search and real-time topic tracking services.
- What is the advantage of using your paper search service compared to using other academic search sites?
There are a couple of advantages: (1) Most of our search results come with highlight sentences. This helps users quickly decide if a paper is worth reading or not; (2) Every paper in our result list is associated with a related paper link and a related patent link, which helps users quickly browse related papers and check if some ideas related to a paper have already been patented;
- What technologies are you using to generate the paper digest and search results?
We have a fairly complicated text analysis platform to support paper tracking, search and summarization services. The platform contains (1) a central knowledegebase storing tens of millions of documents providing paper and patent search results; (2) a number of site crawlers tracking new papers and other related documents in real-time; (3) a pipeline with built-in natural language processing and machine learning components to analyze documents. Internally, we have several different algorithms (from rule-based to transformer-based) for document analysis. We have been improving them over time with the most recent technologies.
- Who are using paperdigest.org?
We started paperdigest.org in early 2018. Since then, a large number of people have already used our services. Most of them are professors, researchers and graduate students. Some business men, reporters and investors also subscribed to this service to track most recent research progresses.
- I forgot my password, how to recover it?
Password can be recovered using the following button:
- How to change my current password?
Password can be changed using the following button:
- I do not want to receive daily digest emails any more but still like to receive conferences digests and use paper/patent search functions, what can I do?
You can disable/re-enable the daily digest service using the button shown below. If daily digest service is disabled, you will not receive daily updates any more. You can always re-enable it.
- How to cancel the service?
You can cancel the service any time using the following button:
- How to contact paperdigest.org?
All other questions, requests and comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.